Archive for August, 2009

Brakes brakes brakes

Uncategorized | Posted by admin August 22nd, 2009

With 12 volt power now running through the car it was time to hook up the vacuum pump and get it working so I could bleed the brakes and get them functioning. I got the system all hooked up. Turning the ignition key flips a relay which powers on the pump. The pump comes on and fills a vacuum tank. Once the correct pressure is obtained a switch turns the pump off. Turning the key for the first time provided the desired result. The vacuum pump came on and about 30 second later shut down.

I got in the car and pressed on the brake pedal. I could feel the booster doing it’s thing. A couple of presses and the pump came on for a few second to restore the vacuum pressure.

Now it was time to check out the system and bleed the brakes. Not a fun task but with the right tools it’s not to hard. A brake bleeding kit consists of a small bottle with a tube into it the mounts via a magnet to the frame. The tube is connected to the bleeder valve on the brake. The valve is opened about one turn. You then pump the brakes making sure the master cylinder resivour if full. After a while you can work the fluid through the line and into the small bottle. You do this till you don’t see any bubbles. Then you tighten up the valve and move to the next wheel. Repeat this process for all four brakes.

All looked good on the back left wheel. Then I noticed that the line was leaking where the back line connected to the proportioning valve. Not good at all. After inspection I found that the connector had gotten screwed in crooked! Damn. I had to take out the whole master cylinder to remove the proportioning valve because the aluminum threads of the valve were now messed up. Time for another trip to the junk yard to find another late model Camero proportioning valve. This also meant a trip to the autoparts store for a new connector. The brakes were not getting done today.

Andrew McClary
Post From My iPhone

And there was light

Uncategorized | Posted by admin August 22nd, 2009

After a break to recover from a surgery to repair an old injury, I got back to work. I picked up where I left off on the car wiring. The 12 volt system was wired in and ignition switch connected in. I now have keys.

The headlights and taillights were then connected. It took a little figuring to get the right wires on the switch but a little time with a multimeter and the switch was wired. The head lights were designed to ground to the frame, so additional wires had to be run since they were mounted in the fiberglass body.

By this time it had gotten dark so it was the perfect time for a test. A turn of the switch and there was light. The car was starting to come to life.


— Post From My iPhone