Archive for September, 2008

Taking it all apart

Restoring and Building | Posted by Andrew September 3rd, 2008

The peddles and the shift linkage don’t look so good, I am going to need to replace these.

cleaning up rust is a dirty business.  I started with a good wire wheel removing the surface scale and dirt.  Most of the dirt ended up on me.

A before and after shot of the clutch bell housing after it was cleaned up.

The rear suspension being removed.

The Corvair front suspension is removed.  It was held in place with 4 bolts which had to be cut.  The front cross member is in really bad shape.  A newer used one was ordered from Clark’s Corvair Parts.  In the mean time I need to take the rest apart and clean the parts.

These parts will all be cleaned.

The frame is then flipped over so that I can get at the bottom and cut out some of the sections that are badly rusted.  This should have been a job for two  people but I was in a hurry so I did it myself.  I almost broke my thumb when the frame started to slide and landed against my work bench.  With a little more thinking and slowing down I was able to get the frame flipped over.

Sections like these had to be cut out and replaced with fresh metal.  The section was cut out and the inside of the tubes was rust proofed. Then new metal was welded in.

The section removed and treated.

The new steel cut to size and ready for welding.

The new steel welded into place.

Removing the Engine

Restoring and Building | Posted by Andrew September 2nd, 2008

The first step is to take the car apart and remove any rust from the frame and get the suspension and brakes working.

But before I start that, the engine needs to go. This will lighten up the car and make it easier to work on.
Rolling the car in and out of the garage right now is really hard. I think the front left brakes are locking up.

Here are some photos so you can see what I am starting with. A lot of work.

Getting rid of un-needed ICE (internal combustion engine) parts.

Once the engine is gone there will be plenty of room for batteries.

The back glass was carefully removed and stored in a safe place so it won’t get broken.

The engine is hooked up to the hoist and bolts removed. Ready for removal.

The fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate are removed. These are going to be needed and will have to be adapted to mate to the electric motor.

Special thanks to my friend Tom for helping me remove the engine. The engine was rusted solid so its next home will be a scrap metal yard.

The frame is rolled back into the garage. The next step is removing the transmission and suspension so the frame can be cleaned of rust and the bad areas cut out and replaced.

The Car Arrives

Electronics, Ideas, Research, Restoring and Building, The Car Arrives | Posted by Andrew September 1st, 2008
After months of searching for a car to start with one is found.

After months of searching for a car to start with one is found.

After months of searching for a good base to start with I found a Ford GT40 replica that was being sold on eBay that was only about an hour away. The ad was found while I was sitting on the beach browsing the web on my iPhone. A bid was place and the following Saturday my wife, kids, and I went up to Jupiter, FL to pick her up.

Its a 1969-70 Fiberfab Valkyrie kit car that was never finished. It had a non-working Chevy V8 engine with a Corvair transmission and suspension system. The frame is a Fiberfab factory frame. The body was in good condition but the front suspension was in horrible shape. The main suspension cross member was almost completely rusted out. This was going to be a big restore and build before I ever got to the electric part. Like I wanted though, this was my chance to do a almost complete ground up build. The car is light, has a strong frame and is aerodynamic. Its also just plain cool.